What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
Every therapy clinic permits certain things while forbids others and this is very important to know this once getting ready for treatment.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. Majority of facilities give you a list of permitted and prohibited items.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. All the items that are not allowed will be eliminated at this step. It is a habit with some centres to prepare a catalogue of the items which you bring in order to ensure that you do not leave anything behind when you leave.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. Different centres have different policies in place for extra stuff.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. In case this page is missing, you must check the FAQ page which too can contain packing information. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They should be able to help you with that concern. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- An alarm clock.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- You can also carry any prescription medications which you are presently using provided that they are in their original pharmacy bottle, and the original information from the label is intact.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- A bit of cash (from £50 to £100 in small bills for store runs, vending machine, etc.)
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- Your diary.
- If you want to mail letters, carry stamps, postcards, and envelopes with you.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- You will be provided with reading materials by the rehab centres chosen by you.
- Reading material you want to bring have to be about retrieval, self- help or spiritually focused.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
What Clothes For The Centre
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
Pack only that many clothes which can be easily accommodated in your room.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Clothes that are easily cleaned are the best to carry.
You should bring weather-appropriate clothes for at least 7 days.
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- A bathing suit a one piece for women and trunks for men.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. There are other centres that will let you bring products that do not contain alcohol in the first three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Body sprays
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
There are some items that are never allowed inside the centres. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Opiates and other medicines
- Sharp tools
- Food items
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electronics [televisions, gaming consoles, etc.]
- Games and playing cards
- Candles and incense
- Statement shirts with explicit or statements in reference to drugs, violence or substance abuse
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. At times, your centre will provide these items
No food and drinks from cooked or prepared by external sources are allowed. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- Chewing gum
- They shouldn't have been opened before.
- MP3 Player or CD Player
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- Some allow nail clippers, some don't.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Can I Get Prohibited Items Back That I Accidentally Took
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. Other centres will just keep them for your and return the same once you have cleared the program and leave the centre.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. You need to be aware of all the rules and restriction in the facility before you come to check in. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Packing For Rehabilitation Can Be Easy You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Find Support Now
You can guarantee yourself a more cosy life while in rehab thanks to the numerous clinics that let you do so. Our specialists are more than ready to help you find a centre that allows you to do just that.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 .