Fighting The Urge
Staying away from "triggers" that can cause a relapse and undo everything you have learnt in treatment can be tough, but there are steps you can take to low the chances of this happening.
Deciding to submit to treatment surely does not come easy. Dedication to keep away from the drug is when proper retrieval starts to take place while dependence therapy clinics give support on detox and alleviation.
A new and abstemious life will begin the moment that provocations are recognized and a suitable reversion avoidance plan is made despite lures being a dangerous trap.
If you have just begun the journey to overcome your addiction, you may find it difficult to say "No" when you are faced with the choice of taking alcohol or drugs.
Being Aware Of Your Triggers
Treatment situation is the defining step of recovery from addiction, the balance of future planning depends on it. You should take advantage of the information being shared by the counsellor while undergoing therapy and start visualizing a game plan to handle triggers once treatment is complete.
You need addiction treatment, contact us now on 0800 246 1509 for further information on available recovery programs and assistance.
Some factors that are the culprit in cases of addiction are common while some are peculiar to each addict. These are
- Maintaining Acquaintance With Abusers
- Going to places where alcohol and drug are available will threaten your determination to break addiction to these substances.
- Emotional States
- There may be the desire to overcome some negative feelings such as stress, dejection, and unnecessary worries by using drugs or taking alcohol.
- Conditions Of Living
- Going back to certain activities, lonely or dysfunctional living circumstances that have been triggering factors to the abuse of substances
- Social Activities
- Gatherings in which alcohol and drugs flowed freely spark off craving for substance use.
- Everywhere where drug or alcohol is used should be an "off-limits" for an addict who is just trying to break the destructive habit.
- Traumatic Childhood Experience That Refuses To Go
- Child abuse and family break ups are elements that set in motion return to substance abuse to relieve the pain develop into substance abuse.
These kinds of underlying issues should be dealt with and carefully addressed during counselling in order that the patient is equipped to cope when the situation arises.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Creating A Relapse Avoidance Plan
Residential addiction therapy programs take place in controlled risk free setting which promotes quick recovery process. Knowing that this kind of environment is only temporary, it is advised to craft a plan that would function as a deterrent or diversion to any triggers when outside the centre.
The effort required to put together a full proof plan is entirely personal, and should not be underestimated. Having an honest approach, being cooperative and understanding the situation will allow a counsellor to put together a full plan to help you avoid the places, people and other obstacles that might stand in your way.
You may face some challenging situations and you must plan ahead how to overcome such challenges at the initial stage after leaving the rehab centre for your home. A reversion avoidance plan is set up to help stay clean on a daily basis.
A proper strategy would be as follows
- If you don't want your recovery to have any hitches, ask for help from a friend or family.
- This can include them ensuring the home is a safe environment, and clean of anything that can produce some sort of high; vanilla extract, cold medicines or hidden alcohol are some things to chuck away.
- List Of Potential Triggers
- Writing down helps in backtracking to monitor progress made on people, places to confirm your commitment to stay focused on the priority list of items.
- Support Of A Guarantor And Following A 12-step Program
- Create an environment where the assistance of your friends and family is possible by hiding nothing from them and keeping the line of communication open with them.
- 12-step programs are crucial in creating connections among people who are committed to abstinence.
- Changing Any Unhealthy Habits
- This step starts with little commitments and compliance to an exercise program, balanced diet, and even improved sleeping habits.
- Successful restoration of physical as well psychological well-being is essential to the overall objective of any meaningful addiction recovery program.
- Post-rehab outpatient program for 3-6 months should be undergone by the recovering patient.
- This approach enables the patient to reap the benefits of continued helpful regimens like biofeedback, counselling, and even physical routines.
- Keep up with the H.A.L.T. rule which means that reversion takes place when one is Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired making these four circumstances vital to avoid a fall back
- Making a list of the positive and negative aspects of using the drug
- keep the list with you for whenever you crave for the addictive substance as it will help your to remember why you have expended so much time and other resources to break the addiction.
Solicit Quick Recovery Assistance
Even the best-laid plans can fail, hence it just makes sense to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If for some reasons you have succumbed to relapse, consider it as a hump on the road to recovery and let that setback be a springboard to bounce back even stronger. Falling into relapse does not mean you have failed, keep on trying.